• Exceptional Children's Program

    Director for Exceptional Children/504
    Karen Jacobs
    Post Office Drawer 2909
    Lumberton, NC  28359
    Phone: 910-671-6000 ext: 3363
    Fax:  910-521-8803
    Email: karen.jacobs@robeson.k12.nc.us

                                                               Exceptional Children Staff Members
    Preschool Director
    Shining Stars Preschool

    Mary Schultz

    Phone: 910-671-4343

    EC Compliance

    Gloria Judd 

            Base: Lumberton Jr.


    EC Compliance

    Stephanie Nobles

            Base: Littlefield


    EC Compliance

    Jamie Lowry

            Base: Pembroke Elementary


    Transition Specialist




    Transition Assistant

    Linda Sealey

            Base: South Robeson


    Courtney Sutton  

            Phone: 910-671-6000 ext:3311
            Base: Central Office



    Mary Jacobs 

            Phone: 910-671-6000 ext:3361
            Base: Central Office


    Behavioral Specialist

    Terrance Curry

            Phone: 910-671-6000 ext: 3370
            Base: Central Office


    Behavioral Specialist

    Devon Dial

            Phone: 910-671-6000 ext: 3371
            Base: Central Office



    Dr. Antonio Cooper


            Base: Tanglewood


    Susan Stephens


    Lanette Locklear

            Base: Tanglewood


    Occupational Therapist

    Sonia Jones

            Base: Tanglewood


    Occupational Therapist

    Caroline Jolicoeur

            Base: Tanglewood


    Physical Therapist




    Physical Therapist





    Dr. Michael Carpenter

            Phone: 336-834-3112
            Base: Tanglewood



    Dr. Carrie Rowley

            Phone: 336-834-3112
            Base: Tanglewood



     Assistant Superintendent
     Dr. Elizabeth Younce
    Post Office Drawer 2909
    Lumberton, NC 28359
    Phone: 910-671-6000 ext: 3302
    Fax: 910-521-8803
    Email:  elizabeth.younce@robeson.k12.nc.us
    The Public Schools of Robeson County (PSRC) provides special education and related services according to the federal mandates of the Individual with Disabilities Education Act and the regulations of the North Carolina Public School Law, Article 9.

    The PSRC Exceptional Children's Department serves 4500 students with special needs, ages 3-21. The school system provides a continuum of services to meet individual student needs. Whenever possible students are served in schools in their base attendance area with support from special education and related services and/or building modifications.
    Shining Stars Preschool offers services to preschool children ages 3-5.  Preschoolers and school age students are identified and provided with appropriate special education services in accordance with the tenets of IDEA.  Prior to receiving special education services from a special education teacher, students are evaluated at the request of the parent, legal guardian, or the child’s teacher to determine if a disability is evident as defined by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.


    Students are evaluated by a licensed school psychologist with the approval of the parent or legal guardian. At the conclusion of all evaluations, results are shared with the parent, legal guardian and teachers at an eligibility meeting in the child’s school. If the evaluation confirms the child has a disability, an individual education program (IEP) is developed with parental input. The individual education program (IEP) specifies the supports and related services needed for the student to be successful during the school day. The individual education program is updated annually or at the request of the parent if needed.


    The identified Exceptional Student in the  Public Schools of Robeson County receive special services based upon disabilities in these areas:

    • autism spectrum  disorder
    • deaf-blindness
    • deafness
    • developmental delayed
    • emotional disability
    • hearing impairment
    • intellectual disability
    • multi-disabilities
    • orthopedic impairments
    • other health impairment
    • specific learning disability
    • speech or language impairment
    • traumatic brain injury
    • visual impairment including blindness


    What to do if you are new to Robeson County - Enroll your child in your district.  Bring your child's IEP from the former school to the new school. Give it to the Exceptional Children's Chairperson. We will then have a meeting and implement the IEP as closely as we possibly can.
    What to do if the school in which your child would normally attend may not have the appropriate setting - It takes a few days to make changes.  The IEP team will convene a meeting to help to determine an appropriate setting.
    What to do if you do not agree with the school choice - The school choice is determined  by the IEP team.  If you do not agree you will have to contact the Assistant Superintendent of Administration and Technology, Mr. Stephen Gaskin's office at 910-735-2231 for an out of district transfer.

    The Public Schools of Robeson County, in accordance with federal/state legislation, provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, sex, color, creed, national origin, age or handicap.