The Essential Standards state that students will be able to:
* Plan, adjust, evaluate, identify, collect,analyze, and refine the language they use for different purposes and audiences.
* Use critical analysis to generate responses to a variety of prompts.
* Understand the connections and life applications of visual arts.
* Understand the global, historical, societal,and cultural contexts of the visual arts.
* Create art using a variety of tools, media,and processes safely and appropriately.
* Apply creative thinking skills to artistic expression.
* Use the language of visual arts to communicate effectively.
* 6th grade- Understand visual art in relationship to the geography, history, and culture of world civilizations and societies from the beginning of human society to the emergence of the First Global Age.
*7th grade- Understand visual art in relationship to the geography, history, and culture of modern societies from the emergence of the First Global Age to the present.
*8th grade- Understand the role of visual art in North Carolina and the United States in relation to history and geography.