The Role of the
W.H. Knuckles Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO)
The objectives of the W.H. Knuckles PTO are:
· Establish and maintain a working relationship among parents, school and community.
· Support school improvement teams and promote the finest education possible for the students at W. H. Knuckles Elementary.
· Expand technology and supplement equipment and supplies.
· Increase student safety and security.
· Develop programs and projects that will support or enrich the curriculum.
· Enhance the quality of education by raising funds for school supplies or programs that fall outside the school budget.
The PTO DOES
The PTO does NOT
· Support the educational programs and extracurricular activities of the school
· Run the school
· Encourage parents’ involvement in their individual children’s lives, education, class, and school
· Force parents to participate in PTO and/or school activities
· Provide feedback and suggestions for school programs
· Set policy regarding school programs
· Coordinate programs and projects that will support or enrich the curriculum
· Define the school’s curriculum
· Encourage/fund the increased exposure of students to technology
· Dictate the technology platforms and/or software used by the school
· Provide feedback/assist with increased awareness of school safety and security issues
· Define or interfere with the school’s security program and policies
· Organize fundraising efforts to support some additional programs, equipment, and services not covered in the school budget
· Control the school’s budget
· Support the educational goals of the school and assist with attaining those goals through parent and community volunteerism
· Set the educational goals, testing requirements, or compliance factors
· Recruit volunteers and coordinate volunteer efforts to staff PTO functions and assist with school programs
· Have jurisdiction or authority over school staff, teachers, and other employees
· Stay aware of legislation and political issues that may impact education and schools
· Endorse a particular political candidate or commercial concern
· A LOT ! ! !
· DO EVERYTHING ! ! !