5th Grade Math Syllabus
Welcome to a new school year at Fairgrove Middle School! This will be a fun filled year of learning in which students will deepen their understanding of various mathematical concepts. The following areas in math will be covered: (1) Operations and Algebraic Thinking (2) Number and Operations in Base Ten (3) Number and Operations-Fractions (4) Measurement and Data (5) Geometry.
Course of Study for the Year:
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations-Fractions
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- Represent and interpret data.
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
- Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their properties.
- Classwork/Projects 30%
- Homework/Quizzes 15%
- Notebook/Bellwork 25%
- Test 30%
- 2 pencils daily
- Loose leaf paper
- 2 3-prong folders
- 1 subject notebook
- Paper towels
Absent Work/Make-up Work
Students will be allowed to make up missing assignments for full credit if they miss a day of school. Students that simply fail to do the assignment will be given the opportunity to make up the grade with a deduction of 10 points. This will be done weekly on Friday during intervention as needed. Students will have a max of 5 days to make up assignments.
It is my experience that when teachers and parents work together we can achieve amazing results. If you have any questions/concerns throughout the year, please call (910) 628-8290 to schedule a conference of call during my planning period (8:05-9:05) to speak to me directly. You may also email any questions/concerns to me at email@example.com