1. place-where a number goes
2. place-value chart-a chart that shows the value of the digits in a number
3. standard form-(8,654)-usual or common way to write a number
4. expanded form-(8,000 + 600 + 50 + 2)- a way of writing a number as the sum of the values of its digit
5. period-each group of three digits on a place-value chart
6. greater than->
7. less than-<
8. equal- =
9. greatest- the largest number
10. least- the smallest number
11. decimal- a number that has a digit in the tenths, hundredths, and thousandths place
12. decimal point-a period separating the ones and the tenths in a decimal. ex. 0.8 or 3.77
13. equivalent decimals- decimals that have the same value
14. product- the answer to a multiplication problem
15. sum- the answer to an addition problem
16. digits-are numbers (ex. 1,2,3)
17. annex- when you add another zero to a decimal. ex (26.5 add zero 26.50)
18. prime numbers- is a whole number that has exactly two factors, 1 and the number itself.
19. composite number-is a whole number that has more than two factors.
20. prime factorization-a way of expressing a composite number as a product of its prime factors.
21. exponent- is a power, the number of times the base is used as a factor.
22. base-in a power, the number used as a factor.
23. power-a number obtained by raising a base to an exponent
24. squared-a number raised to the second power (ex-3x3) or (3 squared)
25. distributive property- allows you to multiply a sum by a number.
26. compatible numbers-numbers in a problem that are easy to work with mentally.
27. commutative property- order in which numbers are added does not change the sum.
28. estimate- a number close to an exact value.
29. dividend- a number that is being divided.
30. divisor- the number that divides the dividend.
31. quotient-the answer to a division problem.
32. fact family- a group of related facts using the same numbers.
33. unknown- a missing value in a number sentence.
34. variable- a letter or symbol used to represent an unknown quantity.
35. round- to find the approximate value of a number.
36. decimal- a number that has a digit in the tenths, hundredths and thousandths place.
37. difference- the answer to a subtraction problem.
38. inverse operations - operations that undo each other.
39. identity property- any number plus zero equals that number.
40. associative property- the way in which numbers are grouped does not change the sum.
41. commutative property- the order in which numbers are added does not change the sum.
42. fraction-a number that names equal parts of a whole or parts of a set.
43. numerator- number of parts represented by a fraction (top number).
44. denominator- the number of parts in a whole (bottom number).
45. common factors- factors shared by two or more numbers.
46. greatest common factor (GCF)-factors shared by two or more numbers that are common
47.- simplest form-a fraction that is written when the greatest common factor of the numerator and denominator is one.
48.- equivalent fractions-are fractions that name the same number.
49.-multiple- the product of the number and any other whole number.
50.-common multiples- multiples that are shaded by two or more numbers.
51.-least common multiple (LCM)- is the least multiple other than 0.
52.-least common denominator (LCD)- is the LCM of the denominator of the fraction.
place value (click on for music video)