KINDERGARTEN MATHBy the end of the school year, your child is expected to:
- Read, write and count to 30 or beyond.
- Read number words to ten.
- Count from 0 to 100.
- Count backward from 10.
- Point to a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter.
- Match sets with the same number of objects (from 0 to 10).
- Use ordinal numbers: first, second, third, fourth, fifth.
- Make sets of objects and write the number for each.
- Tell what happens when an object is removed from a set.
- Estimate objects in sets less than 20.
- Make up and solve story problems with classmates.
- Share an item between two people; divide into two equal parts.
- Know 2-D figures: circle, square, triangle, and rectangle.
- Point to an oval, star, and diamond.
- Put objects in order and tell how it was done.
- Show and use measurement of length, weight, capacity, and time using string pieces, paper clips, marbles, or other objects.
- Name the days of the week.
- Tell what is alike and different between objects.
- Sort objects and tell how they were sorted.
- Point to, copy, and continue patterns (ex: O ^ - O ^ -).
- Read and make picture graphs.
- Read and use a calendar (ex: What date is the first Thursday?).
- Understand and use the following concepts / words:
more / less than
on / over / under
fewer / most
left / right
top / bottom / middle
heavier / lighter
day / night
up / down
forward / backward
stop / go
before / after
above / below
in front of / behind / beside
longer / shorter
greater / least
first / next / last
front / back
in / out