Teacher Name: Whitney Blanks-Hunt
Grade Level: 9-12
Subject Area: Physical Science
E-mail address: email@example.com
Physical Science (1st, 3rd and 4th block)
Rules:•Be on time! (inside classroom and seated when the bell rings)•Be prepared for class everyday•Be RESPECTFUL•Follow directions first time given•Raise your hand before you speak and get out of your seat•No food or drink is permitted in the classroom except for bottled WATER
Hello and welcome to Physical Science at South Robeson High School! I am very excited to be starting another year here. I am also excited to be working with you and your student. I know we will have a successful and productive school year in room W409.
Your student needs a 3 ring binder, loose leaf paper, lots of pencils, and standard blue or black pens] Please ask your student to come to class prepared each day and ready to learn. You can help your student be successful as well:
1. Encourage your student to ask questions in class and come in for extra help when they need it. I am available after school and Saturday academy.
2. Make sure your student is completing and turning on their work to me on time. If your student is not doing this, I will not be giving permission for your student to miss my class for field trips with other teachers.
3. Make sure you receive your student’s progress report every 4 ½ weeks. If you aren't getting phones calls from the school, no one here is going to know unless you call the office at 910-422-3987 and ask to update your address and phone number.
This course deals with a variety of topics such as energy states, energy in waves, electricity and magnetism, chemistry, force and motion, and sound. The nature of heat, sound and light energy is discovered. The structures of matter and its physical and chemical properties are studied. Emphasis is placed upon learning through experimentation, thus improving the students’ ability to be observant and to reason.
Please don't wait until conferences to contact me with any concerns or questions. I am always willing to talk to you. Call me at school (910-422-3987) anytime during 8am to 315 pm or during my planning (8am-930am) or leave a message if you need me. If you need me after these hours, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Please return this portion completed, within two days, for a grade.**
Student Name: _____________________ Date: ________________
Parent Signature: ___________________ Phone #:_____________
Course SyllabusThis course deals with a variety of topics such as energy states, energy in waves, electricity and magnetism, chemistry, force and motion, and sound. The nature of heat, sound and light energy is discovered. The structures of matter and its physical and chemical properties are studied. Emphasis is placed upon learning through experimentation, thus improving the students’ ability to be observant and to reason.
The following are the major competency goals to the standard course of study for the area of physical science:
Goal 1: The learner will construct an understanding of force and motion.
Goal 2: The learner will analyze energy and its conservation.
Goal 3: The learner will construct an understanding of electricity and magnetism
Goal 4: The learner will build an understanding of the structure and properties of matter.
Goal 5: The learner will build an understanding of regularities in chemistry.
Along with these goals are specific objectives that will be covered in this course. Pacing guides have been developed to maximize the time allotted for this course. A pretest, benchmark tests and a final exam will be given. The final exam will count 25% of the course total grade for this course.
- SHOW RESPECT FOR THE TEACHER, YOUR CLASSMATES, AND YOURSELF.
- NO PROFANITY!
- BE PREPARED AND ON TIME FOR CLASS EVERYDAY!
- ONLY WATER IS PERMITTED IN THE CLASSROOM!
Most disciplinary problems will be handled between the teacher, students, and or parents in a calm, reasonable manner. Nevertheless, problems may arise that necessitate swift deterrent action because the learning opportunities of innocent students may be affected. However, other discipline problems will be dealt with should you choose not to follow the rules:
- 1st OFFENSE ------Behavior Modification by Teacher
- 2nd OFFENSE -----Teacher/Student Documented Conference
- 3rd OFFENSE -----Documented Administration Intervention
- 4th OFFENSE -----Parent Contact/ Phone Call/ Conference
- 5th OFFENSE -----Refer to Administration
A parent conference may be arranged to discuss your child’s academic progress or classroom behavior by call South Robeson High School 910-422-3987 or emailing me at email@example.com any time during the week. You may reach me at school until 3:00 pm Monday-Friday.
If I have any concerns with your child, I will call, send a note home, email you, or set up a parent conference.
My planning period this semester is 2nd block from 9:50am – 11:20am.Grading Criteria:
The scale below will grade all assignments:
- Test 35%
- Quiz 10%
- Homework/lab 20%
- Class/Collaboration 15%
- Projects (2 required) 20%
- Final Exam 25% (of final grade)
- A 90-100
- B 80-89
- C 70-79
- D 60-69
- F 59 or below
· Composition notebook
· glue sticks and coloring pencils
· Pens (standard blue or black)Absences, Homework and Make up:
Students are allowed 5 days (unexcused or excused) for absences. Please understand that they must make-up the missed work when they are absent. Also, you will have only 5 days to make-up tests and up to 3 weeks before final grades are due once you return with your progress.