1st Grade Writing
1st Grade - Writing
By the end of the school year, your child is expected to:
- Write all upper and lower case letters of the alphabet.
- Spell correctly three- and four-letter words using knowledge about sounds and letters (phonics).
- Use knowledge about phonics to spell simple words correctly, and larger words as they sounds (temporarily spelling).
- Punctuate a sentence correctly using . ? ! or " as needed.
- Use capital letters in writing as needed (first letter of sentence, names of people, names of places, "I").
- Write stories, journal entries, letters, lists, signs, captions, notes, and descriptions.
- Know that letters make words, words make sentences, and sentences make stories.