2nd Grade Math
2nd Grade - Math
By the end of the school year, your child is expected to:
- Count to 100.
- Read and write word numbers to 100.
- Know place value to 100 (ones, tens, hundreds).
- Add and subtract 2 and 3 digit numbers with and without regrouping.
- Identify odd and even numbers using objects.
- Use and understand repeated addition (multiplication).
- Find the missing number in addition facts to 18.
- Add three single-digit numbers.
- Add 10 more and 10 less.
- Make reasonable estimates up to 100 objects.
- Measure lengths in inches and centimeters; record results.
- Read Fahrenheit thermometer in increments of 2's, and 5's; record results.
- Use the calendar to sequence months and solve problems.
- Describe and make squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, trapezoids, hexagons, cylinders, cones, spheres, pyramids, cubes, parallelograms, rectangular prisms, and triangular prisms.
- Identify the number of sides and corners of an object.
- Identify and make figures with line symmetry.
- Make and count pennies, nickels, and quarters to $1.00 in a variety of combinations.
- Make different sets of coins with the same value.
- Divide regions into halves, thirds and fourths. Record in fractional form (3/4, 1/4, 2/3, 1/3, 1/2).
- Continue patterns with shapes and numbers.
- Classify and sort by one or more objects.
- Identify and match similar shapes (congruent).
- Continue a repeated pattern.
- Identify errors in patterns.
- Compare similarities and differences of objects.
- Tell time to the half-hour using digital and analog clocks; record. Solve problems related to time.
- Use the calculator to solve problems.
- Collect, sort, organize, and graph information in charts and tables; make predictions.
- Solve word problems.
- Skip counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's.
- Write numbers in order. Identify missing numbers in a sequence.
- Solve time and money problems.
- Use models, diagrams, manipulatives, or "acting" to represent story problems; use calculators when appropriate.
- Identify missing numbers in a number sentence.
- Memorize addition and subtraction facts up to 18.