2nd Grade Reading
2nd Grade - Reading
By the end of the school year, your child is expected to:
- Read with expression.
- Read continuously for 20 minutes per day.
- Feel comfortable reading silently. Lip movement is acceptable.
- Practice good listening skills.
- Follow directions.
- Identify irregular vowel, vowel diphthong, and consonant cluster sounds.
- Use familiar word parts to identify unknown words.
- Know homonyms, synonyms, antonyms, contractions, and compound words.
- Identify unknown words in context using sounds and context clues.
- Read and reread to check for meaning.
- Recall concepts, facts, and vocabulary from text.
- Identify cause and effect.
- Express, write, and discuss opinions.
- Recognize main idea and details in a selection.
- Identify setting, characters, events, problem, and solution in a story.
- Read for meaning; answer "how", "why", and "what-if" questions in make-believe and factual information.
- Self-correct when reading.
- Understand cause and effect (example: I fell into the puddle because I was not looking where I was going).
- Dramatize, illustrate, and retell stories.
- Compare and contrast likenesses and differences in stories.
- Predict outcomes, make inferences, and draw conclusions.
- Know the differences between fiction and non-fiction in stories.
- Work independently and in group situations.
- Become aware of test-taking skills.
- Grow in his/her ability to read independently with understanding.
- Infer the motive, traits, or feelings of characters.
- Write complete sentences with subject, predicate, and describing words