By the end of the school year, your child is expected to:
- Hold a pencil correctly.
- Know to write from left to right.
- Show an interest in writing.
- Tell a story about a picture he / she has drawn.
- Work with the teacher and other students on writing activities.
- Write the upper case letters of the alphabet (A through Z).
- Write the lower case letters of the alphabet (a through z).
- Use "Once upon a time" when writing a make-believe story.
- Use correct spelling of simple words.
- Make up spelling for words he / she doesn't know how to spell (temporary spelling).
- Write first and last name correctly.
- Copy letters, words, patterns.
- Know that words, when put together, make meaning.