Responsibilities of RSHS Counselors
The Guidance Counselors of Red Springs High School have the following Responsibilities:
- Provide consultation with teachers, administrators, school personnel, outside agencies, and social services concerning the welfare of the students.
- Develop students career awareness and needs as a lifelong process of forming basic values, attitudes and interests regarding the future world of work.
- Coordinate school, community and business resources schoolwide guidance-related activities and programs promoting students personal growth and skill development.
- Participate as member of committees or teams and work in the capacity of liaison.
- Provide crisis intervention support for students.
- Guide and counsel groups and individual students through the development of educational and career plans.
- Counsel small groups and individual students with problems.
- Conduct structured, goal oriented counseling sessions to meet the identified needs of individuals or groups of students.
- Consult with teachers, staff, and parents regarding meeting the developmental needs of students.
- Conduct meetings to facilitate differences with teachers, students, and parents.
- Conduct or provide opportunities for parent education programs.
- Assist families with school related problems.
- Refer students with severe problems to appropriate community agencies in consultation with their parents
- Coordinate, conduct, or participate in activities which contribute to the effective operation of the school.
- Coordinate with the placement of students with special needs in appropriate programs such as academically gifted, special education.