HIGH SCHOOLS THAT WORK
FOR IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT
* High Expectations - Motivate more students to meet high expectations by integrating high expectations into classroom practices and giving students frequent feedback.
* Program of study - Require each student to complete an upgraded academic core and a concentration.
* Academic studies - Teach more students the essential concepts of the college-preparatory curriculum by encouraging them to apply academic content and skills to real-world problems and projects.
* Career/technical studies - Provide more students access to intellectually challenging career/technical studies in high-demand fields that emphasize the higher-level mathematics, science, literacy and problem-solving skills needed in the workplace and in further education.
* Work-based learning - Enable students and their parents to choose from programs that integrate challenging high school studies and work-based learning and are planned by educators, employers and students.
* Teachers working together - Provide teams of teachers from several disciplines the time and support to work together to help students succeed in challenging academic and career/technical studies. Integrate reading, writing and speaking as strategies for learning into all parts of the curriculum and integrate mathematics into science and career/technical classrooms.
* Students actively engaged - Engage students in academic and career/technical classrooms in rigorous and challenging proficient-level assignments using research-based instructional strategies and technology.
* Guidance - Involve students and their parents in a guidance and achievement system that develops positive relationships and ensures completion of an accelerated program of study with an academic or career/technical concentration. Provide each student with the same mentor throughout high school to assist with setting goals, selecting courses, reviewing the student's progress and suggesting appropriate interventions as necessary.
* Extra help - Provide a structured system of extra help to assist students in completing accelerated programs of study with high-level academic and technical content.
* Culture of continuous improvement - Use student assessment and program evaluation data to continuously improve school culture, organization, management, curriculum and instruction to advance student learning.