Head Coach: Mackie RegisterAssociate Head Coach: Brandon MeadowsAssisitant Coach: Chris Kinlaw, and Ian LocklearB Team coach- Coach GoreBASKETBALL PHILOSOPHY2013-14General Conduct
1. Be a gentleman at all times.
2. Be successful academically. Grades will be checked
periodically. You must pass three subjects each semester,
including English to be eligible for the next academic
3. Always be neat and clean in your dress. We will wear shoes,
slacks, shirts and ties on game days. Wear your clothes in
an appropriate manner (example: pants not hanging down from
your waist, if you are wearing a jacket/coat, shirt tail
must be tucked inside pants, etc.)
4. Keep hair well groomed. There will be no facial hair except for a moustache. There will be no earrings or inappropriate hairstyles or symbolic hair cuts (example: Nike symbol cut in your hair).
5. Use of alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, unlawful activities, fighting, playing cards in public, smoking and the excessive use of profanity could result in dismissal from the team. No basketball player should frequent individuals who are known abusers of each.
6. Be punctual at all times. Frequent tardies to school may lead to game suspension(s).
7. If you are absent from school, you will not practice.
8. When you have an unexcused absence from practice, you will not be allowed to play in the next game.
9. A visible "passion" mark (hickey) on you will cause you to miss suiting up or sitting with the team during a game.10. When late for departure to an away game, you will be left.11. The following will apply for In-School Suspension Infractions: First Offense: You will not practice or play during In-School-Suspension.Second Offense: Could result in dismissal from the team.12. When suspended from school, the following will apply:First Offense: Player/coach conference and will be denied practice or playing time while suspended. Could result in dismissal from the team. Second Offense: Dismissal from the team.13. Physical confrontation (fighting) after it is determined you could have walked away will result in dismissal from the team.
14. Team travel is important. If you travel to the game with the team, you are expected to return with the team. Only with prior agreement between the participant, the parent or guardian, and the coach will a player be allowed to ride with said parent or guardian from the game site,
15. Think TEAM basketball, on and off the floor. Do not do anything that will hurt the TEAM. Good observance of Training Rules must come from within the player.
16. You must sacrifice something to make our team the best it can possibly be.
17. When the season is over, look back and be able to say, "I gave the best, all the time."
WE WILL HAVE DISCIPLINE, ORGANIZATION AND EFFORT OR YOU WON'T BE PART OF THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM!
ALL INFRACTIONS OF RULES WILL BE DEALT WITH INDIVIDUALLY. THE BASKETBALL COACHES AT LUMBERTON HIGH SCHOOL WILL DECIDE WHAT COURSE TO TAKE. THE HEAD COACH OF THE TEAM WILL GET THE OPINION OF THE ADMINISTRATION AND OTHER COACHES AND WILL MAKE THE FINAL DECISION.
\ PRACTICE CONDUCT
1. Be at all practices. Each one is important. If for some reason you are not able to attend a practice, let the coach know beforehand. Inform the Head Coach personally. Do not send a message. The coach will give you his daily schedule. If you check-out from school inform the coach prior to leaving campus (if its not an emergency).2. Anytime you miss practice unless you have a doctor's excuse you will be required to make up the conditioning training of the practice you missed. For each practice that you miss the required conditioning training will double. An example: If you miss one day you will run two 7 1/2 in the required time; two days you will run four 7 1/2, etc.3. Be on time. If late for practice,you will owe the team a lap for every minute you are tardy.
4. Hustle every minute during practice and games. Do not sit down during practice.
5. Practice socks must be above the top of your basketball shoes (no anklet socks).
6. When the whistle blows or you hear balls in the rack,
everything stops. Not one last shot or dribble. Everything stops and you sprint to the Coach or center jump circle.
7. There will be no idle talking during a drill situation.
8. You miss an uncontested lay-up, and you will owe the team a wind sprint (under 10 seconds) and/or a pirate pride pushup.
9. Do not enter the Coaches' Office without permission. KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING!
10. Believe in YOURSELF, your teammates and your COACHES.
11. Always do your best. 100% is the minimum effort.
"THE WILL TO WIN IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE WILL TO PREPARE."
1. Stand with respect during our National Anthem -- all on one line together.
2. At halftime and at the end of the game, go directly to the dressing room. At halftime, first few minutes should be used for restrooms, drinks, injuries, equipment repair, and then assume a relaxed position ready to listen to the Coach. At the end of the game do not start undressing until after the post game talk.
3. Officials should be addressed as "Mr." or "Sir". Don't irritate them. If you have a question, bring it to the coaches. Let us do the talking to the officials.4. Raise hand calmly whenever a foul is called on you and bring it down in the same manner. No arguing, unsportsmanlike act, etc., will be tolerated, this type of action only makes it tougher for us to win.
5. When replaced in game, don't come to the bench "griping"about being replaced. Remember, the rest of the squad thinks they are also capable of playing good ball so support them when they enter the game. Reinforcement should inquire about his defensive assignment and handle the ball at least once before taking a shot unless it is a lay-up.
6. While on the bench, you have no time to visit with parents, friends or spectators behind you, or pick out a pretty girl in the bleachers. Also, no remarks should be made of officials, opposing players, coaches or spectators. Encourage and cheer for your teammates.
7. Sprint to our huddle at time-outs and be attentive. The five players in the game should sit while others stand around the huddle. Water and towels will be given to you, so don't search for them.
8. When the man you are guarding leaves the game, raise your hand to show us that you are aware of the new man you will guard.
9. When going into the game, report to Official Scorer by
giving your number and the number of the man for whom you are going in. Do not enter the game until the official signals for you. The man coming out of the game should have physical and verbal contact with reinforcement and tell him whom he will guard, etc.
10. Know NCHSAA ejection rule: If you are ejected from a game, you will sit out the next two games.
11. Remember no one gets an emotional technical foul but MB. If you get an emotional technical foul you will not play the rest of the game! We want you to be fiery in your play but not in your actions and with your mouth.
12. After the game, be complimentary and shake the opponent's hand.
"THE PRICE OF VICTORY IS HIGH--BUT SO ARE THE REWARDS!"